Quantcast

Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Wes Messamore
Administrator
Other than the five I already have?

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Prismatic Sphere
Perhaps a "controversial" section to cover delicate and touchy subjects like abortion and other areas where libertarians may have disagreements.
Vote Libertarian: The life you live could be your own.

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

xX144Xx
Music!

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Wes Messamore
Administrator
Yes I see that Mr. Porcupine Tree. You've got me tempted. At least to do an "Art and Entertainment" sub-forum as a catch-all for music, movies, fiction, etc.

PS: PT rocks!

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Prismatic Sphere
I concur with the arts and entertainment idea.  I am also a lover of progressive music.  Any Symphony X fans here?

I'm also a serious movie lover as well..
Vote Libertarian: The life you live could be your own.

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Wes Messamore
Administrator
Prismatic Sphere wrote
Any Symphony X fans here?
Uh yeah!

I think we're all going to get along very nicely on this forum. Why is it that libertarians seem to disproportionately love Prog Rock?

PS: Love the Libertarian Controversies forum idea. That's going up too. Soon.

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Prismatic Sphere
Wes Messamore wrote
 Why is it that libertarians seem to disproportionately love Prog Rock?
I think it is because that we understand the power of music much like we understand the power of freedom.  Music should be chromatic and fun and should take us on a journey; and that is also what life should be.

Or maybe we're just too self-indulgent.
Vote Libertarian: The life you live could be your own.

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Daryl Luna
<quote author="Wes Messamore">
 Why is it that libertarians seem to disproportionately love Prog Rock?

When Rand Paul was speaking to us YAL folks in Kentucky, he began by quoting Rush. I thought: The GOP establishment quotes Rush Limbaugh; Rand quotes Rush (the band).

I am actually a Prog fan myself, though I don't like it all. As a guitarist, though, I love Prog Metal.

"It behooves every man who values liberty of conscience for himself, to resist invasions of it in the case of others: or their case may, by change of circumstances, become his own."--Thomas Jefferson

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

xX144Xx
I guess maybe libertarians gravitate toward "prog-rock" because it's a little off the beaten path.  Like libertarianism, unfortunately.  Incidentally Wes, I was the guy that commented about Dream Theater when you put up that video, another one of my favorite bands.

Administrator
That's awesome. I'm going to do a post some day about libertarianism and prog rock. It'll be worthy of a Rush epic song!

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Prismatic Sphere
Well it's all connected isn't it?

Rush dedicates their breakthrough epic 2112 to Ayn Rand.  Rand Paul quotes Rush.  Ron Paul most likely named his son Rand as a tribute to Ayn.

I'm seeing a vision.

Administrator
Lol- actually it's just Randall and I believe his wife started calling him Rand as a nick name, which stuck.

Sort of like how Geddy Lee's real name is Gary; and his grandmother had a heavy Scottish accent which made his name sound like "Geddy" which incidentally, also stuck.

Administrator
Exactly. I always forget that story, and when someone tells it, am awed by how cool it is all over again.

Re: Any suggestions for subforum categories?

Prismatic Sphere
One more suggestion for a subforum- humor.

Here we could all tell jokes about liberals, neocons, environmentalists, religious zealots, the validity of Marxism, etc.

Nes pas?
Vote Libertarian: The life you live could be your own.